E302: Naumann Name___________________________
5 BASIC BELIEFS OF TRANSCENDENTALISM
Transcend (verb): to rise above, to go beyond, to surpass the expected, excel, outdo
Everything is a reflection of God
- People are basically good
- People will still sin, but they will repent and will most of the time choose to do the right thing
- People are close to God
- Nature is great!
can allow you to transcend the real world and go to a higher, spiritual level
- People can get closer to God without church
- Nature is as close as you can get to God
- Society (the opposite of nature) keeps people from getting to a higher spiritual level
A personís INSTINCT
(intuition) can lead them to understand Godís spirit
- Everyone can do this! Wealth, status, prior knowledge
- Stressed that people were basically good Ė their gut instincts could lead them to God
Individualism and self-reliance are better than following others or depending on tradition.
- People will make the right choices if given the chance
- Believed that government was not necessary
- Urged people to question tradition
- Materialism was not good; people should not be dependent on money or belongings
A personís true feelings and intuition are more valuable than book knowledge.
- Average people were able to do this
- Money, wealth, status not necessary
- Trusted people to do and feel good things
Below, write 3-4 sentences about how transcendentalism is SIMILAR to romanticism.
Below, write 3-4 sentences about how transcendentalism is DIFFERENT than romanticism